Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 17, 2004

It's not clean till it's CSI clean!

If I were honest with myself I'd have to admit that I watch too much TV.  Most of the shows that I watch DO have some educational value, but you could say that about any TV show today.  I've even learned a few things from watching the Simpsons.  By far, my favorite TV shows are true crime stories.  Forensic Files.  Body Of Evidence.  Cold Case Files.  The System.  Although it's fascinating to watch how the detectives gather scientific evidence with state of the art equipment, how can I justify my interest in such shows?  Will this knowledge help me in my profession?  I'm a nurse, more specifically a nursing supervisor, so unless knowing how to conduct a ballistics test on various fire arms will help me find a nurse to work in the ICU tonight, that's not information I can use.  How about at home?  No matter how much I fantasize, when I dust my living room... it's not for fingerprints.  Socially, I can see where a little forensic knowledge might possibly alienate you.  It's just not polite to 'interrogate' the neighbors, and they DO notice when you're making mental notes on what brand of cigarettes they smoke, what size shoes they wear, and the existence and location of any tattoos they might have.  Looking back on my life experience I realize that I have never been called upon to pick someone out of a line up, describe a suspect to a sketch artist, or even look through any mug shots.  It would be much more rewarding for me to watch a TV program on health issues or home remodeling.  So why do I get such satisfaction knowing that when I'm finished cleaning, if a team of forensic scientists were to come to my house, the only dirt and fibers obtained at MY crime scene would have to be left by the perpetrator himself?  Do I worry that watching all these crime stories might make me paranoid?  Not at all.  I don't think it's asking too much for immediate family members and close friends to provide a small DNA sample for possible future forensic comparison.  Do you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha enjoyment of the shows you like to see are not a reflection on how you live or clean your home. ( Gosh! I hope not or I'm in trouble) But I have to admit, I will now look at my next door yards with a different scrutany to see the comings and goings. And definitly will mark which dogs are pooping in my yard hahaha Lanny

Anonymous said...

I never forgot during the OJ simpson case when the detective Mark Furman was on the stand and the lawyer asked him what was the condition of nicoles home. And he said, "spotless" I think of that everytime I clean. After my death I want the cops to say I was spotless and whenever my house is a mess I'm fearing the cops will be here for something and I will be embarrassed. LOL

Anonymous said...

You always give me a laugh! I admit it. I watch a lot of TV too but not the same shows. So, you're a nursing supervisor. I worked in a hospital for years (not a nurse) and do you know what they say behind your back? LOL! : )

Anonymous said...

Your new found TV detective knowledge may serve you well. Find Todd and bury him in manuer. Dig him up every six months to see how his corpse had decayed.

Anonymous said...

GAWD you are hilarious!! I work in law enforcement, and do fingerprint and photo work. Let me tell you....those shows make us look like MORONS in real life! LOL, I am forever telling people "TV makes it look like we can get fingerprints out of the air, but it just doesnt work that way". So far, no one has bought in to that! There is only so much you can do with some lead powder and a brush, but "they" (there they are again!) believe in miracles!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa,
You can always make me laugh... I appreciated your last few lines---that's my girl!!! I miss you so much...we have to catch up. I'm glad things are going good for you and congrats on winning the editor's top pick... you deserve it. Love,
Moe