Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 12, 2004

But will you still love me tomorrow?

 Valentine's Day pressure starts in grade school when you exchange cards with your classmates.  That may be one of the first times we begin to think that life will give us back as much as we put into it.  I remember equating my entire worth as a person by how many cards I got back.  Teenage girls have come to expect as much from their boyfriends as adult women do.  Half the fun is telling your girlfriends what you got and how he surprised you with it.  His romance potential is measured, gauged, and calculated from whatever he does or doesn't do on this day of all days.  It doesn't matter how he treats you the rest of the year, but by God, he better do it right today!  “He seemed like a wonderful guy.  He called her whenever he was away on a business trip and sung love songs to her over the phone.  He stayed up all night with her when she was sick, and he went to school with her kid on Father and Daughter Day even though he isn't her father, BUT... he didn't send her flowers on Valentine's Day! ”  Who really benefits from Valentine's Day?  Who even thought of it?  Hallmark? 1-800 FLOWERS?  Zale's Diamonds?  Whitman's Chocolates?  And don't forget to buy cards, flowers, and candy to give to your mother, father, children, and friends.  "Say it with flowers!"  "Say it with diamonds!"  Geeze!   Just SAY IT already!  Remember that love is a lot more than what you get on Valentine’s Day.  Getting flowers doesn’t prove that you’re loved.  And getting no flowers doesn’t mean that you’re not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry, Lisa. I remember the little girl I was in grade school, hoping for lots of cards that would tell me that I WAS liked and worth something. It's a horrible holiday for kids who didn't fit in (and I didn't).

I'd like to go out for a nice dinner for this Valentine's Day, but I doubt it'll happen. Another journaler had a great idea -- renting a bunch of chick flicks. Now that sounds good!

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you and I got it the first time. It's just a day. Just like a fancy wedding is just a fancy wedding. It's the way someone treats you everyday that counts.....not occasions!

Anonymous said...

You are so right. My hubby lets me know every day for the past 46 years that I am his Valentine by his actions and the attention he gives me. I`don't need flowers, but I sure do love chocolate!!!! Dawn

Anonymous said...

I admire your honesty, Lisa, no matter how painful it may be for you at times. I had been looking for love, like the song in all the wrong places until I met John who makes every day Valentine's Day. Some advice to others: Stay away from lily pads or you'll end up wiping frog spit off of your mouth in the morning. He might look like a Prince, but his actions speak louder than his looks. Thank God I finally found my Prince. I hope each of you find your true Prince Charming!

Anonymous said...

** LOL this day just means CHOCOLATE LOTS OF CHOCOLATE. Whitman's yuck! Becky>>bbeckyl/HeartSoul

Anonymous said...

Ya know what would say it for me....a hug...just a really strong loving hug where for once he doesn't wanna let go of me and for once I didn't initiate it.